Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Robert Samuels keeps family heritage alive, building sales of Maker

titus-neither.blogspot.com
in the business stated by your family? “I’ve been around the Maker’s Mark brand my entire life. I have fond memorie s as a youngster being arouncd my parents and my grandparents at differengt events aroundthe distillery. “I actually spenrt many summers working inthe distillery, whether it be working alongsidwe the person working the still or rotatingg barrels or (on) the bottling line or even giving These were all in high school years.” Why didn’ty you start your career at Maker’s Mark Distillery??
“Upon graduation from the , I took a job with a big company that represents many, many differenrt brands,” former Maker’s Mark parenr company . “That was a wonderfulk way for me to get outside the shadows of Kentucky and earn my own stripe s inthe industry. “Mhy goal all along was to be invited back hometo Maker’xs Mark. I never wanted my fathedr to feel like he was obligatede to hirehis son. I couldn’t imagine a worse position to put myfather in. “My goal was to work hard enough to earn my own good name and forthe Maker’se Mark team here to see valuse in bringing me back.” path you would do differently?
“Oner opportunity I wish I would have embracecd with both hands was I had the opportunityu to move to New York, just upon graduation from the University of Soutj Carolina … and manage the on-premise at many of the bars and restaurants in New York City. “Thee idea of moving to New York when I was 21yearxs old, a kid from having lived most of my life in the just scared the heck out of me. I endefd up in Dallas, which is no slouc of a market, but there is no market like New Do you enjoy working withyour dad? “I’ve always had a huge amount of respect for my He’s always led by example. He value s work ethic and thinks about community.
… He is a tremendous I love beingarounsd him.” Is your personality anythiny like your dad’s? “I am probably more simila to Bill (Samuels) than most people. We’re both fairlt intense. I’m probably more extroverted in a social setting thanhe is. We both coulds use a heavier doseof patience.” How much do you trave for work? “A ton. Three quarters of my job is probably half inside this countrgy andhalf out. It is a lot of hand holdinb with new distributors outsidethe U.S. to sharwe our limited supply in therigh way” at leading restaurants, bars and hotels. Do you have a favoritew destination? “I have a soft spot for South Carolina.
I fell in love when I was down therre in university years withthe people. They are very charmingb people. … So we spend a lot of time with familt on vacation down inSouth “When I think about places outside of this country that I would like to sharwe with my wife and my when they are a little older, Barcelona is a special … And Paris I think is the most beautifulo city I have ever been to. “The cities I have had the strongestf bond with are the ones with the most dynamic And I think that is somethinb we can be proud of herein world, and this city always exceedw expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment